Academy Council Members
Who we are:
|Simon Atkinson||Foundation Member and Chair||01/07/2015 - 30/06/2019 by Bishop/Diocese||None||FPP Committee Chair, Admissions, Performance Management Chair, Discipline, New Member Induction|
|Father Neil Byrne||Foundation Member and Vice Chair||01/07/2015 - 30/06/2019 by Bishop/Diocese||None||FPP Committee, Admissions, Discipline, Complaints, Religious Education, Child Protection/Safeguarding|
|Valerie Clemerson||Foundation Member||01/07/2015 - 30/06/2019 by Bishop/Diocese||None||School Development Plan Chair, Appeals, Complaints, Religious Education|
|Jonathon Haley||Foundation Member||01/09/2017 - 30/08/2021 by Bishop/Diocese||None||FPP Committee|
|Kathryn Dillon||Foundation Member||01/07/2015 - 30/06/2019 by Bishop/Diocese||None||School Development Plan Clerk, Appeals, Complaints, Inclusion/SEND|
|Alison Ashworth||Executive Headteacher||Ex-officio||None||FPP Committee, School Development Plan, Admissions, Discipline, Child Protection/Safeguarding, Global Link, Health and Safety|
|Liz Clarkson||Parent Member||15/07/2015 - 14/07/2019 Elected||None||FPP Committee, Complaints|
|Rachel Rouse||Head of School||Staff governor||None||FPP Comitee, SDP Comittee, Child Protection/Safeguarding, Admissions|
|Mark Gargan||Associate Member||15/09/2015 - 14/09/2016 Elected||None||Performance Management Clerk|
|Mark Stephenson||Clerk to Academy Council||NA||NA|
What we do:
Academy Council Members are jointly responsible for the conduct of the school, ensuring that the best possible Catholic education is provided for the pupils attending the school.
We provide strategic direction to the school by:
- setting its aims and objectives
- establishing policies and targets to achieve them
- monitoring, evaluating and reviewing the progress of the school
As members of the Academy Council, we are the employers of the school staff, teaching and support, with the legal and ethical responsibilities of good employers. We each take on a serious responsibility and make available time and energy to:
- attend meetings;
- consider documents;
- undertake governor training;
- visit the school.
Foundation Members have an additional responsibility to preserve and develop the Catholic ethos and distinctive Catholic nature of our school.
Link Academy Council Member
1. At St. Joseph’s School link academy councilors are appointed by the academy council to understand, oversee, monitor and report on their subject area especially focusing on any specific aspects of the School Development Improvement Plan (SDIP). Link academy councilors enrich the whole academy council's understanding of their particular area and contribute to informed decision making.
2. We also consider that link academy councilors help the academy council to develop positive links with staff and create a visible and professional profile within the school.
3. There are additional link academy councilors who have specific roles in supporting the academy council to fulfil its statutory responsibilities in areas such as Child Protection, Special Educational Needs, Catholic Life of the School and Health & Safety.
Please see below for more information about the role of a Link Academy Councilor: